I've been wanting to kick toothpaste completely out of our home for years. There are two natural varieties with no fluoride that I've been purchasing for the past 7 years in between using my homemade toothpaste. The problem is I haven't found a homemade combination that I love enough to completely leave the commercial toothpaste behind.
I initially liked the last mix I made, but after a few days use decided it wasn't for me. It was also super messy for the kids to use by themselves. I made a big batch of it and because I don't like waste, it took us forever to use it up! The mix was coconut oil, baking soda, bentonite clay, powdered spearmint, peppermint essential oil, sea salt and stevia.
I've become increasingly attracted to tooth powders. They seem to be gaining popularity for teeth whitening and strengthening. Instead of purchasing some, I decided to use what I had on hand and make some of my own.
I'm working in smaller batches this time around! If we don't like it after a few days, I can tweak the recipe and move on.
This is day two with this batch and so far, we are all enjoying it! The following ingredients work well together for removing toxins, restoring pH balance, killing bacteria and whitening teeth. I'm not too concerned with the whitening aspect. I have an oil pulling routine that really helps with that, but even whiter teeth will be a big bonus though!
I added a small amount of cinnamon for a little flavor and freshness and a tiny bit of stevia for light sweetness. If you try it, feel free to add more cinnamon and/or stevia or leave them out all together.
- 2tbs Bentonite Clay- Cleanses, heals and removes toxins. Includes minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, silica, sodium, copper, iron and potassium.
- 1tsp Baking Soda- Cleanses and restores oral pH balance. Mildly abrasive.
- 1/2tsp Activated charcoal- Removes toxins, restores oral pH balance and whitens teeth by removing build up and stains.
- 1/2tsp Himalayan pink salt- Rich in minerals, including potassium for bleeding gums and calcium which strengthens and whitens teeth. Removes toxins and restores oral pH balance.
- 1/8tsp ground cinnamon- Anti-bacterial and natural breath freshener
- Less than 1/8tsp stevia powder- Natural sweetener. Safe to use without promoting tooth decay.
I'll update in the coming weeks and let you know if we're going to stick with this mix or change things up! If you have a favorite tooth powder recipe, please share below.